Friday, April 17, 2009

First Wave


Emma is now 3 and a half weeks old...it's hard to believe we've had her that long! I haven't written for a while purposely for a few reasons. First, most days I literally didn't have a spare moment to sit down and do anything else other than try to get her to stop crying. Second, because of the first reason, I didn't have much good to say and thats not fun to read so I opted not to write anything. Thankfully, things have gotten a little easier some days. Like right now for example, she's actually sleeping....glorious!

So the first wave of visitors has come and gone. My parents came down for about a week right when she was born, went home for a few days and then came back with Jen! They had actually planned on being here last week because it was their spring break from school. They were a huge help...I didn't cook a meal, pick up a dish, do my own laundry, or clean any part of my house at all because they were doing it all. What a blessing!!! Sadly, I needed to use that time to do my homework instead of sleep but you gotta get it done sometime! Most of the time they just fought over who got to hold her. They're a little bit enthralled with her :-)



Mid-week my grandparents drove up from florida and stayed through Easter. It was so good to see them and I'm really glad they got to spend time with Emma when she was so small. They too wanted to hold her all the time. Well, at first grandpa was scared to hurt her so he just hovered and stared but once he held her he got over it. He was hilarious...anytime she cried he wanted to cry too and couldn't stop thinking of the things that we might need to fix so she wasn't upset. Adorable. So poor Aaron...with all these people fighting for her he never got much time to hold her himself! He's making up for it now :-)


We had a good time all week and there was no shortage of picture taking of course. I'll just choose a few to put on here. We actually had a friend come over that has gotten into the photography business to do a little photo shoot. Emma was a mess!!!! Seriously, screamed bloody murder the ENITRE TIME. I think maybe she didn't like only being in her diaper...maybe she was cold or something. So every picture is of her screaming. Good thing Jen was the back-up photographer all week cause she got some great pictures.
my easter outfit :-)

4 generations!


The next wave of visitors is the Faro side of the family and we're excited for them to come! They come down in waves as well...first Dad, then Mom, and finally Amy. Not sure when the uncles will get to meet her but hopefully it'll be soon! We've tried to use the web cam to have some quality time a bunch but I must admit it can be a little awkward...Emma mostly just sits there and doesn't do anything so you try to make conversation while you just stare at her doing nothing. Better than nothing I guess! While Grandma Faro is here we're actually road tripping down to Florida for a triathlon for Aaron. This may be the stupidest thing I've ever agreed to because I have no idea how traveling 9+ hours is going to go. I'm really glad Grandma will be there to help! Maybe it'll confirm whether I should fly to Chicago or drive up with Aaron...we can look at it as a test run.

So two nights ago we gave Emma her first bath. Her cord stump finally feel off so now we're allowed to put her in water. We were told that babies hate the bath at first so we were expecting a scene. So she's already been screaming for quite a while before we were planning on giving her the bath so we almost didn't do it because we didn't want the screaming to last longer than it had to...but we did it anyway. And as soon as she went in the water she stopped screaming!!! She just sat in there and looked at at us...content as ever. Apparently, Emma likes the water. I guess with two lifeguards/swimmers as parents it was likely. Then she proceeded to sleep for 6 hours after that...what a night! I believe a nightly bath will be part of the normal routine.


So I'll finish this off with my anesthesiologist story for those that asked. Let me just put my disclaimer in here saying that I'm really glad the nasty things I said we at least not directed at my husband. I've heard women say some rough things during labor but my nastiness was directed at someone that really asked for it and deserved it :-) Lets paint the picture...I'm at 24 hours of labor at this point and I've finally decided that I can't take it anymore...I need drugs. You would think that someone that administers epidurals for a living might know what state the patient is in...utter exhaustion and rediculous pain. So she comes in and rambles off her consent paragraph like I'm bothering her by asking for the needle. She's completely monotone and annoyed. Strike One. So I give consent and agree to all the risks or whatever and she gives me the epidural and then I lay back down. Now, it hasn't kicked in yet cause its been about 30 seconds and I have another contraction during which my hands and face go numb and start tingling. And in my stupor state I'm wondering why the epidural is numbing the wrong half of my body. So I'm trying to ask why I'm going numb in the middle of this stupid contraction. To which she sarcastically laughs in my face!!!! Strke Two! Thankfully I knew I wasn't overreacting because Aaron actually turned around and said, "Actually, I don't think its funny". Thats how I knew I wasn't imagining this whole story...he never confronts people like that. Then she sarcastically adds, "maybe if you'd stop hyperventilating..." As if I should be in complete control of myself and my breathing at this point. She basically acted and spoke like I was rediculous for being in so much pain and not knowing what was going on. Strike Three! So, much to my dismay, I get really upset and now add crying to everything thats already going on. And I look at Aaron and say "Get her out of here!" So the nurse tries to get her out and when I think she's gone I say "She's lucky she's not here cause I would have kicked her in the face if I could" Then we find out that she's still there, she's just standing in the doorway. Oops. Aaron said she got a sly little grin when I said that which only makes me want to do it more. Oh well. So thats my story and as much as I don't ever want to be THAT person, I'm writing a letter about her to her practice. Why? Because she's an idiot and they should know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great picture to illustrate them being a bit enthralled with Emma. Hilarious.

Also hilarious is that story. That is all around great fun, well at least now it is. I love the reference to Aaron's "sly grin" because that's so easily pictured.

Finally, without sounding like a girl...you don't look like there's anyway in the world you were just pregnant.

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

I'm so sorry to hear that little Emma isn't as perfect as she looks! A screaming baby is no fun! Glad she liked her bath though.

Renee wants me to tell you she likes her "bress". Renee is about fashion!

I agree with John, you don't look like you were just pregnant a few weeks ago. Isn't breastfeeding the best weight-loss plan ever? (Hope that's going better too.)

That story is hilarious....now. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time! Good thing you already had the epidural in you before you made your comment or she might have just put an empty needle it your back! (My guy was foreign and I couldn't understand a word he said but I instantly fell in love with him once that needle went in.)

Any chance of coming to NY this summer? Can't wait to meet Emma!

sarah said...

She is so cute and I love that your family is spoiling her! :) I'm sure many people have given you advice on what to do and what not to do - so I'm not going to do that, but I will just tell you that I ready Baby Wise and used it with both kids and know many people that recommended it to me because it works. Just a suggested reading (like theres lots of time to read). Will also screamed his first photo shoot and pooped on Josh :)! He didn't like being cold and naked. Hope she does well for you in the car. You look great for 3 weeks postpartum!!! Don't even look like you just had a baby!

Anonymous said...

These pictures are just precious. I absolutely LOVE the first one, and the one of your Dad holding her is also priceless. She is just beyond perfect. You look amazing---I guess that's a common theme in the comments. Guess not sleeping looks good on you!! I am praying that gets better. Can't wait to cuddle little Emma, and see both her parents as well!!

Charlotte Eagles Soccer Club Brazil Tour 2007 said...

Emma looks so serene. :) I love her! We will someday get pictures where she may be happier about life and i promise her that we will let her wear clothes. :) Sweet baby.

Praying for you guys! Love you Faro's!

SarahB.

welcome to the whirlwind we call our lives!